Springfield family shares experience of being stranded on I-95 in Virginia for hours

Springfield family shares experience of being stranded on I-95 in Virginia for hours

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A Springfield family shares their experience after being stranded for hours on I-95 in Virginia during a snowstorm that left hundreds of cars behind earlier this week.

What would you do if you were stuck in your car for more than 24 hours in freezing conditions? Springfield’s Sabrena and Tyrone Brantely discovered it the hard way. The family was stranded for 26 hours. They arrived home on Wednesday and said it was an experience they will never forget.

“Virginia’s about to be two to four inches, we’re like, ‘Okay, it’s all good, we’re from New England, that’s nothing to us,’ Sabrena told 22News. . “It started to descend quickly and then the traffic stopped.”

The Brantelys and their grandchildren had returned from Virginia to Springfield early Monday morning. They were traveling on I-95 when a heavy snowstorm hit, pulling traffic back for miles.

When did you realize that this traffic was not normal?

“Well after six hours of standing still, uh … yeah. We noticed that there was a car that had gone over the median, so we were like, ‘Okay, we get to this point, we will try to cross over. ‘ So we did it but we got stuck, ”Sabrena said.

And concerns over Tyrone’s diabetes prompt them to seek other avenues and find shelter quickly.

“They weren’t cleared of snow yet and they were icy. There was a truck over there, the truck half-masted. We couldn’t get it down, so we changed our route,” said Tyrone.

Then another obstacle … their GPS died, “We lost all connection, I was like, ‘Oh my god!'”

So it was back on I-95 and being from New England didn’t prepare them for what they went through.

“I was listening to the radio and people were calling, ‘I’m on the highway, I have no water, I have no food.’ There were cars running out of gas, ”Sabrena said.

Tyrone added, “It was like a parking lot. We were just sitting still.”

After spending 26 hours stranded in their car, the Brantelys finally made their way home. Sabrena said, “I took a photo of the Welcome to Massachusetts sign when we got home. I was like, ‘Oh my god!’ I have never been so happy to see downtown Springfield. “

And as for another road trip …

Sabrena said, “I won’t drive that far anymore. No no no !

Tyrone said they would consider another type of transportation next time: “It won’t happen. If I can’t get a plane ticket, I won’t go.”

It took the Brantely’s from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m. the next day, just to cover five miles.